In order to obtain a LEARNERS License (PERMIT) the student must be:
- 15 ½ years old
- Currently receiving instruction in a driver education program
- Have two forms of ID (birth certificate or passport, and a Social Security card, school ID)
- Social Security number
- Pass the written test (75%) at the Department of Public Safety
- Dave’s Driving School registration form
- Pass the vision test at the Department of Public Safety
- If student has a certificate of completion of driver’s education, they do not have to take the written test.
*Now they can drive with a licensed driver 21 or older sitting in the front seat. No other restrictions apply.
In order to obtain an Intermediate License (Restriction G) the student must be:
- Be at least 16 years old
- Have had a permit for six months with no accidents or tickets
- Have driven 50 hours with a permit, 10 of those hours at night (signed affidavit by parent)
- Complete a driver training program and have a certificate of completion
- Pass the driving test (75%) at the Department of Public Safety
- Must have two forms of ID
*Now they can drive by themselves and have one friend in the car, or have as many family members living in the same household in the car with them. They cannot drive between the hours of 10 p.m. and 5 a.m., unless it is a school, work or church-related activity.
Fees involved at the tag agency:
- First-time Learner License (permit): $25.50
- Duplicate license (restriction change): $10
- Fail fee for written and driving tests: $4